Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Human Buttons

Sender: Lynn Bruner
Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:00 pm

Hello 'osam altaee'! I would like to respond and hope that you hear my words as
I have heard yours. It is very horrific that many people living in
industrialized countries cannot fathom the type of anguish that many refugees
face. These same people are good natured but it many ways ignorant of the
things they do not know or understand. As a mother of four, I can not stand to
see any child hurt. It is not an effort to humiliate any one human being by
showing these pictures. As someone who has seen this pictures, I can say that
each one affects me by humbling. There should be no shame in a reporter trying
to tell the rest of the world, "Look, this is no joke. This is a child, a human
being. Wake up, and let us help these people." Thank you for taking the time
to hear my words.
--

sam@umacr.org wrote:
Re: Human Buttons

Dear Lynn Bruner,
I read all the messages I'm receiving from people regard my campaigns and I mostly reply to many of these messages. I respect your opinions and I just like to explain some thing. I agree with you on using pictures to show plight of people like refugees and it's good to write an explanation like you did, but what is the message on the human-buttons? I don't see any message except a request for money. If you don't see the human-buttons on my sites or the site of UNHCR so will you understand that these people are refugees and will you understand why they're asking for money? The human-button itself doesn't contain any message or explanation, meaningless. I hope you'll think again and just look at the human-buttons and try to read the message on them. I hope we'll continue this discussion if you like.
I like to publish your message on my blog http://unhcr.blogspot.com with your permission.
Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon.
Friend4all
SAM
http://www.unhcr.info
http://unhcr.blogspot.com
--

Subject: Re: Human Buttons
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:03:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lynn Bruner lynnsca1984@...

Hello once more 'osam! I just wanted to get in touch about our talk. I am located in Southern Alabama. We have been hurt hard by Hurricane Katrina. Our county was declared a disaster area as well.

I am writing out of curiosity this time. I must admit that I am curious about what you think of the pictures and coverage of the New Orleans evacuees/refugees. New Orleans is much like a second home to me. I have also spent much of my thirty nine years in Mobile and Biloxi. We have only recently gotten power and I really will not complain because there is so much destruction from friends, family, and neighbors along the Gulf Coast.

Hurricanes are an act of nature but no one can completely understand the devastation until they have experienced it. That is much like your refugees. Unfortunately, we have known for years that if a Major Hurricane hit New Orleans then it would completely destroy it. That came as no surprise to us. It will be a surprise if the death toll does not reach 100,000.

As I thought of our conversation, I could not help but realize that if there were not so much media coverage, there would not be so many countries or individuals willing to help. Living so far away, how do you feel about this? Have you ever been to the region?

I will give you permission to print my words and would love to hear your response.

Thanks,
Lynn
--
sam@umacr.org wrote:
Re: Human Buttons

Dear Lynn,
Sorry to be late in my reply, I was in Roumiah prison, the police arrested me at 31/Aug in the office of the UNHCR because I was photographing the office then I spent 55 days in prison for entering Lebanon illegally. You can see the pictures and read my article in my site www.unhcr.info/smile/smile.html it’ll be part of my new campaign.
I heard about the event while I’m in prison, and when I went out of the prison the news about the hurricane was finished. I felt sorry for the victims and for all the loses in soles, it was a tragedy from our mother the nature but we must respect her and rethink about how we spoil our nature. Unfortunately, I didn’t see any pictures about the Hurricane Katrina, but I just want to tell you some pints.
I’m not against using pictures to show plight of people (situation) but I’m completely against the human-buttons for the reason I wrote in my campaign. I believe that many people in the worlds need help and need some one to show their plight publicly, but I hope this will happen with some respect.
I noticed that you used this term to describe the statue of the victims of the hurricane “evacuees/refugees” and this is big prove that any human could be a refugee whether they’re poor or rich. I don’t think the people in New Orleans are poor with our standers but they became refugees when they lost their homes because of the hurricane and they were in urgent need for help even if it for temporary. I don’t think that there is any shame in that and even in showing their pictures in the media but do you think it’s good idea to use some of their pictures as human-buttons? We’re humans and we all need help for any reason but that don’t give the right for any one to disrespect us even if he do that to help us. I’m just asking for some respect, that’s all.
I hope you’ll tell me more about the situation their and I hope God will give his mercy to those whom passed to the haven and the comfort for those whom lost their relatives and friends. I hope no one will abuse their rights like what happing with us.
I like to publish your message on my blog http://unhcr.blogspot.com with your permission.
Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon.
Peace upon you.
Friend4all
SAM
http://www.unhcr.info
http://unhcr.blogspot.com