Wednesday, April 25, 2007

educated

Sender: Jane
Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:50 am

Hello! I have donated to UNHCR, thinking that I was doing a great thing.
However, your work has changed my perspective. You are very brave and your story
is so amazing to me that I find it hard to believe, but I give you the benefit
of the doubt. Another source that has changed my idea about the United Nations
and UNHCR is the movie "Hotel Rwanda." Since then, I have doubted the power of
the UNHCR to help refugees. Oh, and I have benefited greatly from your
clarifications on who really is a refugee. I agree that the cause of the diease,
not the symptoms, must be treated. I hope you find comfort in my email and that
you will continue your pioneering work.
--

On 8/25/05, sam@... wrote:
Re: educated

Dear Jane,

Your message made me happy. You'll know more about the UNHCR in my next campaign, I hope it'll be ready next week. I'll continue my mission and I hope you'll send your opinion to the UNHCR and I hope they'll listen to what you speak. Please could you tell me more about you?

I like to publish your message on my blog http://unhcr.blogspot.com with your permission.

Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon.

Friend4all
SAM
--

Re:
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:09:18 -0700
From: Jasmine Cho
Subject: Re: educated

Dear Sam,
You're welcome. Feel free to post my message on your website. As an
extension of my message, I want to say that perhaps the UNHCR is benefiting
*some* refugees with direct aid (treating the symptoms), and that is a noble
thing in itself. However, you are correct in that they should not compromise
the perception of refugees by using those photos as advertising. In
addition, I think that UNHCR should stress that they are helping only with
direct, short-term aid, if that's what they are doing.
Jane
--

On 8/27/05, sam@... wrote:
Re: educated

Dear Jane,


"I want to say that perhaps the UNHCR is benefiting *some* refugees with direct aid (treating the symptoms), and that is noble thing in itself."


Sorry, I don't agree with you, every one has responsibility to do his work that he has been paid for correctly; I don't see any nobility in their work at all. Those whom fro work for UNHCR are workers like any one else I knew them well in the past 10 years of my life. I think the nobility is for the community who created the UNHCR and supports it with many things not only the money. For me, you're noble because you care not because some one paying you salary. I'm very sorry to be so angry with them because of what I see daily in the office of UNHCR here in Lebanon.


"UNHCR should stress that they are helping only with direct, short-term aid, if that's what they are doing."


The mandate of the UNHCR is to find permanent solution for the problem of the refugees as the status of refugee is exceptional and it must stop as fast as possible. The UNHCR must work to bring back the refugee to the normal life by finding permanent solution (like repetition, integration or resettlement). The UNHCR isn't responsible to provide the refugees with their daily needs. The 51UN convention burdened that responsibility to the governments where the refugees are living. Here in Lebanon we depend on ourselves, we must find work and shelter. A local organization works to provide the refugees with some help but it limited and for refugees whom in urgent need. UNHCR works to find resettlement in 3d countries only for refugees in Lebanon. I hope we'll stay in contact and continue this discussion. By the way did you contact the UNHCR to ask them about what we're speaking about? I hope they'll answer you!


Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon.
Peace upon you.
Friend4all
SAM